Hello, music lovers, it’s your friendly neighborhood rock journalist, and I’m going to highlight the best of the weekend for your music enjoyment.
Let’s kick off the weekend with something Italian.
- Day-Go – Pete Ciotti of Yer Dog and Nucleus and owner of Big Pete’s Pizza’s new musical project with Lenny Petinelli – Ciotti promised there will be dancing and humor involved in this Italian musical duo’s performance. You can pick up their brand-new CD at this show. 21+ only.
- Rebekah Downey (203 MySpace friends), local indie, jazz, blues singer/pianist will grace Mosgo’s with her rapid finger movements across piano keys and crooning. This show is all ages and starts around 8 p.m. – donations are welcome.
Music of the world in Humboldt County
- Down south at the Mateel, Jamaican living legend Judy Mowatt will be performing her gospel revival music at 7 p.m. for $30 in an all-ages show.
- At Humboldt State University, GAMELAN X will be playing a variety of world music in the Fulkerson Recital Hall – 8 p.m., all ages, $8/$3 student, senior/HSU students get in free.
As I write this, I’m looking forward to Sunday night, for two reasons:
- Reason 1 – I’m currently listening to The City Streets (Big Pete’s, all ages, 10 p.m. – 2,281 MySpace friends), and it’s making me happy. Horns, clever lyrics, catchy melodies, kinda emo and delightful.
- Reason 2 – My favorite bluegrass band, Huckleberry Flint (430 MySpace friends) is playing at Humboldt Brews (10 p.m., 21+).
I’m upset because I can only go to one of these shows … so someone will have to let me know how the Big Pete’s show goes.
However, I will get my fill of delicious pizza and delicious Weezer cover music on Monday night when Wepeel plays Big Pete’s in, of course, an all-ages show, which will start at 9 p.m.Heads up folks! - Thursday the 13th - Alibi - 11 p.m. - $4 - 21+
Canadian rockabilly group, The Vincent Black Shadow (not the motorcycle)
I'm so intrigued and excited by what I've heard on myspace, I might just stay up until the ungodly hour that Alibi shows start and check them out. Who wants to go with me?
Wiki-trivia: The group derived their name from a motorcycle that was featured in the Hunter S. Thompson novel Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.
That’s my scene snippet. Have fun, and don’t ever stop rockin’.
Opinions expressed in columns do not necessarily represent those of The Eureka Reporter or its staff. The opinions expressed in this column do represent those of Melody Stone - rock journalist.
Now playing: Tegan & Sara - The Con